Sunday, May 24, 2009

"In that moment poetry will be made by everyone."

Category: Review
Artist: Kasabian
Album: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

...so goes the sample at the beginning of West Ryder/Silver Bullet, from the film La Jetee/Sans Soleil- and they couldn't be more dead on. If there was ever any doubt that Kasabian were a lad band, or just shit, it is forever dispelled by West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Never has an album captured both the feeling of the 60s pyschedelic landscapes and modern society so well before. People will slag Kasabian off saying they are a poor mans Primal Scream on a Madchester nostalgia trip, or they're just Oasis Mach II but they are wrong. So wrong are they that I wonder if their brains are merely burnt up like over used appliances because they keep spitting out the same review every album. What I am saying is most people do not give things a chance and simply buy into whatever they hear. Stop here if you think I am, or Kasabian are, full of shit- or keep reading.

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum is supposed to be a concept album, but as per usual it sounds more like a brilliant collection of songs that relate to each other thematically more than a story. This does not detrack from the album in any way, and if Vlad The Impaler was removed the pysch vibe would flow on uninterrupted I believe. On this album Serge Pizzorno's songwriting on is at its most phenomenal and accomplished yet. Songs such as Fast Fuse and Take Aim are built off of Pizzorno's brilliant riffs and wonderfully rephrased chorus, but he now splices short catchy bridges and pre-chorus that leave you wanting to hear more. He is like a modern Jagger/Richards- not only goes he have the smart riffs but the brilliant songs the support them.

It is easy to think this is all Serge's show, but the other members of Kasabian; Tom Meighan, Chris Edwards, and Ian Matthews, are essential to the sound of the band. Tom is easily the best frontman and vocalist of this era. Not only does he have the voice containing the fautless range and unique delivery, but he has the look, moves, and attitude as well. Chris and Ian are undoubtly the best rhythm section in rock at this time. Chris' bass lines are always melodic and tasteful and Ian's drumming sounds like no one else- it's powerful, driving, and groovier than anything from the 70s.

Now, a quick track by track and we are done!

Underdog
It may be their best album opener yet, and it is hard to beat a track like Empire! Anyone thinking Club Foot was their best tune will dig this- it takes Club Foot and makes it look like a baby. Carried along by the heaviest riff in their cataloge, a fantastic guitar solo, and one of Serge's best melodies ever it gets in your head and does not leave!

Where Did All The Love Go?
This is the sound of Kasabian beating Oasis at their own game. Probably the most meaningful lyric on the album and one of the best chorus Serge has ever written. It is pure rock n' roll backed up by a beautiful melody.

Swarfiga
A haunting and sparse instrumental with some understated keyboard and guitar. That is pretty much it as far as the sound goes, except it has a tight groove. It works perfectly as an album piece, bridging Where Did All The Love Go? to Fast Fuse. I could not picture it happening any other way.

Fast Fuse
You have heard this one before, but not in this much clarity. I was afraid it would come out sounding weaker than the demo, but it sounds amazing. It retains the power and rough attitude of the demo, but sounds bigger. I am glad they kept the intro!

Take Aim
It opens with some suprisingly beautiful strings and then launches into a masterful blend of world music, pyschedelica, and westerns. Serge sings this one and it works wonderfully with his rough vocal capturing the feeling of the song perfectly. According to Serge it is about game shows or something like that, but it feels like a western outlaw ode.

Thick As Thieves
This is easily Serge's best acoustic song yet, and it has some lovely lead guitar work too. I do not think I have ever connected with a Kasabian song like I have with this one, it captures how I feel about being part of this generation but not really being belonging to it.

West Ryder/Silver Bullet
This song does exactly what a title track should; capture the sound and feeling of the album but also sound amazing. For me it embodies the sound of West Coast pyschedelica but modernized. A love song of sorts, it seems very sensual, yet sweet. At the moment it is my favorite track on the album, I just love the verse riff and dramatic chorus.

Vlad The Impaler
The only song I would have left off the album, even though it is a brilliant piece of electronic, venomous, dirty rock n' roll. It has one of the most infectious grooves I have ever heard. Easily the craziest and most modern moment on the album. Do you think it makes Primal Scream cry at night?

Ladies & Gentleman (Roll The Dice)
Kasabian could have taken a number of directions for this song, but I really love what they have done with it. It has a subdued vibe to it and the tastiest guitar parts on the album. I feel like the music and instrumentation capture the feeling of the lyrics perfectly.

Secret Alphabets
Definitely the most pyschedelic track on the album, it has a very spiritaul feel to it. The interplay between the verse and chorus is great. The verse feels like a man on a journey of enlightenment, and the chorus seems like spirits speaking to the man, guiding him. Serge sounds great on vocals again.

Fire
As a lead single I was unsure of it, but after some time with it it feels like a perfect choice. It heralds the new direction Kasabian are taking, while retaining some of their older elements. It is tracks like these that bands often struggle to make because they retain old fans and make new ones. The highlights of the song for me are the pre-chorus after the final verse and the backwards guitar moment near the end of the song.

Happiness
The best closing track Kasabian have ever made, easily, even though Tom should have sang it. Serge sounds great on the other tracks he sang, but I feel he holds this one back. That is not to say he does not sound good, he does. The song builds beautifully, going from a sparse verse, to a ghostly church choir backed chorus, and to a powerful gospel-esque bridge. It ends the album on a very positive, calm note, and really does make you feel happy.

A few small things here or there, but overall a near faultless album. It deserves this score.

5 Out Of 5!

Check It Out:
http://blog.kasabian.co.uk/

Links:
La Jetee/Sans Soleil - http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/77
Kasabian News/Resource Site - http://www.sergepizzorno.com/

8 comments:

Jen said...

Lovely work Rob!

Robert said...

Thanks Jen for the comment and the link on your site! :)

Unknown said...

been reading the kasabian forum for years, got too many other boards I frequent to post there so I'll say it here:
If Tom would have gotten to sing "Happiness" and "Take Aim" I would put this up there with best album in the last 6-8 years hands down - At least the final track should have no doubt been a Tom track, and I can't understand why Serge feels he has to sing so many tracks. (even if it's sonly 2-3 on the album)

He sounds great on the chorus of WDATLG and others, so I just was let down that the final track as well as "take aim" we're not as fierce as they would have been with Tom there.
To me Karloff was Kasabian is so respects, but with him gone I think they have made an AMAZING album and I can't wait to see the progression in the next 3 albums.
CHEERS FROM SAN FRANCISCO

Robert said...

Wow, I got another post! This is a good day for me, thanks! You know, I really like Serge on Take Aim, but agree Tom should have sang Happiness. Serge sounds fine on it I think, but I would prefer Tom. I think it could have a been a track much like Hey Jude, oh well.

Kazza said...

Nice review! I can't wait to hear this. I agree that Serge isn't as strong as Tom vocally. I guess you can't blame him for wanting to do some of it but you totally said it right that Tom's just got that range that makes it so brilliant.

Robert said...

Thanks! Serge pulled off the first two tracks, but going for Happiness was too much. It is similar to Nicky Wire signing William's Last Words on JFPL, Tom would have probably made it sound like a huge ballad and maybe Serge wanted it a more subdued. It would be nice to hear a version with Tom singing it though.

Now that I'm getting comments maybe I'll post more. Thanks everyone!

Unknown said...

it seems that "where did all the love go" took out that little sound effect at the beginning and end. It was on the version that leaked before the album leaked. minor I know, but I thought it kinda kicked off the song better than without it. It's just a second long little blip right before the lyrics begin - they left it out on the album version according to the leak..

Now I just want the 2 bonus tracks to leak - 14 tracks sounds better than 12, even if they're just bonus tracks.
CHEERZ!

Robert said...

You never know with promos, WDATLG sounds a bit odd so I'm curious about it.

Definitely, I can't wait. I'm thinking of swapping Vlad our for Cunny Grope Lane myself.